Laser treatment for vascular malformations and birthmarks
Approximately 1 in 10 people are born with vascular birthmarks, which are inherited abnormalities of blood vessel development. Although some of these are obvious at birth, many present later in life. Apart from recurrent bleeding episodes, the aesthetic implications of these birthmarks can have significant impact on personal and psychological well-being. Unfortunately, experience with diagnosis and treatment of blood vessel abnormalities is limited in most hospitals, and very few expert centers are available in the world.
In Andorra, we have the Vascular Birthmark Institute Europe, which is a direct partner of the world famous Vascular Birth Mark Institute of New York, in the USA. As a result of this collaboration, we can offer a similar standard of care as rendered in the United States, at a European price.
Who is this for?
Adults and children who experience bleeding or aesthetic problems from vascular birthmarks and other types of vascular skin problems, preferably in the head, face, ear, nose, mouth, throat and neck region.
What types of lesions do you treat?
- Vascular malformations
- Hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT) syndrome
- Port wine stains
- Congenital hemangioma
- Venous malformations
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Capillary malformations
- Vascular tumors
- Infantile hemangioma
- Carotid body tumors
- Many other types of skin lesions
How do you treat these lesions?
The vast majority of the lesions above can be treated with LASER surgery. At VBI Europe, we use hypermodern LASER applications, which exclusively target the abnormal blood vessels, without affecting the normal surrounding tissue. The advantage of this is minimalization of scarring and postoperative problems. This type of surgery can be safely provided in a day care setting, without any need for general anesthesia. In addition to LASER surgery, we treat selected cases with injectables, topical agents and/or oral medications. In the case of more complex lesions, we provide options for surgical removal under general anesthesia as well, after thorough clinical and radiological evaluation and discussion with our colleagues in New York.
Advantages of VBI Europe
- A tranquil, natural and health-promoting environment
- Evaluation and treatment by expert head and neck physicians with years of experience in world class institutions including Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Weil-Cornell Medical Center, and Oxford University Hospitals.
- A pragmatic approach which is patient-centered and aims to optimize patient autonomy, transparency, honesty, and empathy.
- A balanced assessment of risks and benefits of treatment in the context of both the strengths but also the limitations of scientific knowledge.
- Multidisciplinary approach where necessary.
- Solution tailored to the individual patient.
- Low threshold options for advice regarding referral and access to world class colleagues in your home country or abroad.
Does not include
Price of the treatment